The Massachusetts Housing & Shelter Alliance, a nonprofit public policy advocacy organization that serves as the leading voice in the Commonwealth calling for an end to homelessness, is seeking a full-time Staff Accountant.
LOCATION: Boston, MA
POSITION TITLE: Staff Accountant
PURPOSE/OBJECTIVE: Provide support for financial management of the organization. The candidate must possess considerable knowledge of accounting and financial reporting. Candidate will be responsible for maintaining the monthly A/R, A/P, C/R, and F/A for a multitude of general ledgers. Experience in budget preparation and monitoring in a non-profit environment is highly desirable. Candidate will assist the Director of Finance and Administration with funding agency reporting, and in the year end closing of all general ledgers.
STATUS: Position is full-time, 40 hours a week, exempt
- Ensure complete, accurate, and timely financials.
- Ensure compliance with policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Maintain the general ledger in accordance with GAAP.
- Maintain monthly schedules to support the general ledger.
- Maintain financial records.
- Open vendors in A/P system.
- Review invoices to confirm proper account codes, approval, and compliance with funders/contracts.
- Assist the Director of Finance & Administration with the annual audit and Form 990.
- Record revenue, including deferred, endowment and temporarily restricted.
- Reconcile revenue with development office.
- Reconcile bank and investment accounts.
- Manage cash and accounts receivable.
- Process accounts payable invoices and produce accounts payable checks.
- Calculate and process monthly cost allocation entries.
- Track fixed assets and calculate and record depreciation.
- Prepare government filings.
- Suggest process improvements to increase efficiency of operations.
- Prepare and transmit payroll.
- Track leave time.
- Special projects as assigned.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Please email a cover letter and resume to Tom Yotts at firstname.lastname@example.org with "Staff Accountant" in the subject line by April 27.
The Massachusetts Housing & Shelter Alliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply.